Preventing Fires in the Workplace
Often times we discuss how to prevent fires at home, but not always what we can do to prevent fires in the workplace. The best thing we can do as employers is educate the employees and keep our buildings running smoothly.
Here are some additional tips on things that the occupants of any commercial facility can do to help prevent fires in the workplace.
- Make sure your fire extinguishers, control panels and any other fire protection equipment is easily accessible.
- If you have any hazardous materials or waste on site, make sure they are stored properly and disposed of properly.
- Schedule regular maintenance to make sure all your fire protection equipment is up to code and functioning properly.
- Have regular fire drill training and educate your employees how to use fire protection devices.
- Consider investing in building security. Employees should know how to lock up the building and how to report suspicious activity.
- Have a designated smoking area that is a safe distance away from the building.
- Have an emergency plan in place. SERVPRO of West Milwaukee has a great program available to all commercial facilities and it’s absolutely FREE for your business!
- Follow OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) and NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) Guidelines.
SERVPRO of West Milwaukee will always help you be prepared for the unexpected. If you do experience a fire at your workplace, give us a call and we’ll get to work to restore your property to its preloss condition as soon as possible to minimize down time.