Preventing Fires in the Workplace
Often times we discuss how to prevent fires at home, but not always what we can do to prevent fires in the workplace. The best thing we can do as employers is educate the employees and keep our buildings running smoothly.
Here are some additional tips on things that the occupants of any commercial facility can do to help prevent fires in the workplace.
- Make sure your fire extinguishers, control panels and any other fire protection equipment is easily accessible.
- If you have any hazardous materials or waste on site, make sure they are stored properly and disposed of properly.
- Schedule regular maintenance to make sure all your fire protection equipment is up to code and functioning properly.
- Have regular fire drill training and educate your employees how to use fire protection devices.
- Consider investing in building security. Employees should know how to lock up the building and how to report suspicious activity.
- Have a designated smoking area that is a safe distance away from the building.
- Have an emergency plan in place. SERVPRO of West Milwaukee has a great program available to all commercial facilities and it’s absolutely FREE for your business!
- Follow OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) and NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) Guidelines.
SERVPRO of West Milwaukee will always help you be prepared for the unexpected. If you do experience a fire at your workplace, give us a call and we’ll get to work to restore your property to its preloss condition as soon as possible to minimize down time.
Emergency Ready Profile
You are the facilities director for several properties. It’s 1:00am and your phone rings. A pipe burst in one of the 20 buildings you manage. Which one is it? Where is the water shutoff? Who do I call first and who’s going to answer in the middle of the night?
Having a plan in place should a disaster strike is the best way to minimize down time and business interruption. The percent of businesses that never reopen after suffering a disaster is overwhelming at 50%. Of the ones that survive, the majority of them had a preparedness plan in place. A SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile can be a great asset to your company. It is a great supplement to existing disaster/contingency plans as well. It provides critical information needed to begin mitigation and recovery services.
The SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile Advantage:
-A NO COST assessment of your facility
-A concise Profile Document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency
-A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster
-Establishes your local SERVPRO Franchise Professional as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider
-Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin
-Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas and priority contact information
All of this information is available to you in a paper document we supply to you and you have access to the information 24/7 right from your smartphone in a free app. SERVPRO of West Milwaukee is committed to providing fire and water cleanup and restoration services to reduce your business interruptions and recovery costs. We can handle any loss, big or small. Give us a call today to schedule your ERP today or visit SERVPRO.com/Ready.